Thank you for volunteering your time and talents to the students of McNicholas High School. In an effort to care for and protect our students and per Archdiocesan policy, all volunteers must complete the following BEFORE having contact with our students. Please note that these requirements have changed as of January 2014. We appreciate your patience and understanding concerning these requirements, knowing that the safety of our students (and your child) is worth a little inconvenience.
1. Attend a VIRTUS® Child Awareness Session.
- The session will last 2 ½ - 3 hours.
- You do not have to attend the session at McNicholas.
- Click on Upcoming VIRTUS Sessions and select Cincinnati, OH (Archdiocese) to view the upcoming sessions in our area.
- Please follow the VIRTUS Online Registration Instructions to register for your session. When registering, be sure to choose McNicholas High School as a location of service.
2. Complete ongoing training in the form of monthly online bulletins.
- Following your training session, you will be required to log onto VIRTUS Online once per month to read a bulletin and complete a multiple choice question about the bulletin.
- For help with your monthly bulletins, view our Monthly VIRTUS Bulletin Directions.
- While you will typically be sent a monthly email reminder, we suggest making a note on your calendar once per month to remind you to complete your bulletin. (We have learned that the VIRTUS email reminders are not always consistent.)
- Your monthly bulletins need to be completed year-round, not just when your group or team is “in season.”
- If you fail to complete 3 bulletins, your account will be suspended. If this happens, you will be removed from contact with students until you repeat the 3 ½ - 4 hour training session.
3. Sign up for the electronic background check.
- All volunteers must have an electronic online background check through SELECTiON.COM. As of January 2014, fingerprinting is no longer required.
- The cost of the online background check is $25 and can be paid through personal credit / debit card / PayPal at the time of service. If this creates a serious financial hardship, please contact Principal Patty Beckert.
- Please follow the Background Check Instructions to start your background check.
- Once you have initiated the background check, it will be checked electronically on a quarterly basis (without any additional action on your part). You will not have to initiate or pay for additional background checks in the future, provided you stay active as a volunteer.
- Because your background is being checked on a quarterly basis, you can volunteer anywhere within the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. It is your responsibility, however, to make sure your contact information is current and the list of locations in your VIRTUS account is current.
- If you have been fingerprinted in the last five years (under the old regulations), your background check is valid for 5 years. Once your five years has expired, you will have to complete the electronic online background check through SELECTiON.COM.
- If you would like more information regarding the new SELECTiON.COM electronic online background process, you can view a re-run of this webinar.
Our school complies with the Decree on Child Protection as promulgated by the Archbishop of Cincinnati. Our fingerprinting policy includes manual fingerprinting for employees and electronic background checks for all employees and volunteers.