Horace Vandergelder, a wealthy merchant in 19th century Yonkers, NY, decides to take a wife and employs a matchmaker, Dolly Levi. Dolly subsequently becomes involved with two of Vandergelder’s clerks, several lovely ladies, and the headwaiter at an expensive restaurant where this clever farce runs into hilarious complications. After everyone gets straightened out romantically, Vandergelder finds himself in love with the astute Dolly Levi herself.
The Matchmaker opened on Broadway on December 5, 1955 starring Ruth Gordon (Best Actress, Tony Award Nominee), directed by Tyrone Guthrie (Best Director, Tony Award Winner). The Matchmaker ran for 486 performances, Wilder’s Broadway record, and closed on February 2, 1957. It was later adapted as the musical Hello, Dolly!.
All performances will be at the Jeanne Spurlock Theatre on the McNicholas High School campus, 6536 Beechmont Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio 45230
Thurs., November 8 @ 7:00 p.m.
Fri., November 9 @7:30 p.m.
Sat., November 10 @ 7:30 p.m.
Sun., November 11 @ 1:00 p.m.
Tickets are $12 each. Click here to purchase tickets online.
McNicholas High School has one of the most recognized high school theatre programs in the state of Ohio. Recent awards received by our students at the annual State Thespian Conference include:
- 1st Place State Conference - Duet dance, group musical theatre (2015)
- 1st Place State Conference - Scott Frenzel (2012, 2013)
- 1st Place in Ohio for duet mime-Scott Frenzel and Emma Kapp (2014)
- Outstanding grade in Monologue (2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017)
- Outstanding grade in Filmmaking (2016)
- Outstanding grade in Acting Duo (2012)
- 1st in Ohio for Musical Duet (2011)
- 1st Place Monologues State Conference and earned spot in
- National Conference - Matt Gabbard (2013)
- Performed Little Women (2017) It's Not the End of the World (2015), Over The Tavern (2014), and Is He Dead? (2013) by special request at the State Conference
- 1st in Ohio for Group Musical (2010, 2009)
International Thespian Society
McNicholas is proud to be active members of the International Thespian Society, Troop 4737.
All students are invited to join enjoy Improv Club on Thursdays after school. It is a lively, creative and fun way to learn more about acting, specifically improvisation.