Shadowing at McNicholas High School gives 8th grade and prospective transfer students the opportunity to observe and feel the welcoming culture of our school. Here's what you can expect from your Shadow Day:
1. Be a Rocket for a day: You will report to McNicholas High School at 7:30 a.m. and meet your host. Your host will take you to classes and introduce you to his or her classmates. You'll have a chance to see our teachers in action, ask questions about our school, and meet other great students.
2. Enjoy lunch: We will be providing lunch for all shadows and their hosts. This will include pizza, chips, and a drink. If you prefer to bring your own lunch in lieu of the complimentary lunch, please let us know as soon as possible.
3. Meet with a member of the Admissions Committee: Just as you’re learning more about us, we want to learn more about you! The chat will last 10-15 minutes.
4. Conclude your visit: The day will conclude at 1:45 p.m. with checkout in the main lobby. Shadow guests with siblings who attend McNicholas are welcome to stay through the end of the school day. Please note this preference on your Shadow Day Request Form.
Make an Appointment
All shadow guests must register online at least 72 hours in advance of their requested date.
- Shadow Day requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please register at least 72 hours in advance.
- Please check the sign-up form for available dates. Requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please register at least 72 hours in advance.
- We will schedule a maximum of 20 students per day in order to provide a quality experience for our guests. If you do not see a day on the form, it’s because either the day is full, or due to academic priorities for our current students, the day is not available.
- You are not required to know anyone to shadow. We have trained Ambassadors who are excited to showcase McNicholas High School. However, if you do know someone and would like for your student to shadow them, that request must be made at the same time you register for a shadow day.
- Ambassadors and Shadow Hosts are permitted to have one person shadow them per day. We cannot allow group shadowing. We will notify you if the person you requested has already been paired with another prospective student.
- Shadow Day assignments will be finalized up to one week prior to the scheduled date starting in mid-September.
- We prefer to pair 8th grade students with Freshman and Sophomore Ambassadors.
- PROSPECTIVE TRANSFER STUDENTS: Current high school students interested in transferring must contact the Director of Admissions for a family interview prior to the Shadow Day.
- All scheduled shadow days must be educational in nature and for the purpose of discerning a high school choice. Therefore, we do not allow visiting family or friends to "shadow" because they are in-town or off school for the day.
- There will not be any Shadow Days scheduled in the month of May. It’s important for our current students to focus on their end of year exams and projects during this month, and hosting a guest can a distraction to their academic priorities during the busiest month of the school year. We can offer a personalized tour the month of May.