Shadowing at McNicholas High School gives 8th grade and prospective transfer students the opportunity to observe and feel the welcoming culture of our school. Here's what you can expect from your Future Rocket Day:
1. Arrive at 8 a.m. You'll receive a warm welcome, have a chance to ask questions, and meet other Future Rockets.
2. Experience academics and our Rocket community. You will accompany your host to classes, meet teachers and other classmates.
3. Enjoy lunch: We are pleased to offer LaRosa’s pizza for lunch. You will be offered two slices of pizza, a bottled water, and a bag of chips. If you do not like pizza or have a food allergy/sensitivity, we encourage you to pack your lunch. You will have an assigned locker for the day and can store your packed lunch there, if needed.
4. Conclude your visit: The day will conclude at 1:45 p.m. with checkout in the main lobby.
All Future Rocket Day requests must register online at least 72 hours in advance of their requested date.
- Please check the sign-up form for available dates. Requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please register at least 72 hours in advance.
- Due to our rotating schedule, we cannot guarantee specific classes or lunch bells.
- We will schedule a maximum of 20 students per day in order to provide a quality experience for our guests. If you do not see a day on the form, it’s because either the day is full, or due to academic priorities for our current students, the day is not available. We cannot go over 20 students.
- You are not required to know anyone to shadow. We have trained Ambassadors who are excited to showcase McNicholas High School. However, if you do know someone and would like for your student to shadow them, that request must be made at the same time you register.
- Ambassadors and Future Rocket Day hosts are permitted to have one person shadow them per day. We cannot allow group shadowing. We will notify you if the person you requested has already been paired with another prospective student.
- Assignments will be finalized up to one week prior to the scheduled date starting in mid-September.
- We prefer to pair 8th grade students with Freshman and Sophomore Ambassadors.
- PROSPECTIVE TRANSFER STUDENTS: Current high school students interested in transferring must contact the Director of Admissions for a family interview prior to the Future Rocket Day
- All scheduled Future Rocket Days must be educational in nature and for the purpose of discerning a high school choice. Therefore, we do not allow visiting family or friends to "shadow" because they are in-town or off school for the day.
- There will not be any Future Rocket Days scheduled in the month of May. It’s important for our current students to focus on their end of year exams and projects during this month, and hosting a guest can a distraction to their academic priorities during the busiest month of the school year. We can offer a personalized tour the month of May.